Guilty Pleasure: AI

Saturday, May 17, 2008

I recently read an article saying that American Idol viewership had decreased among younger viewers and increased among "older" viewers 35-49. Not sure how I feel about being an "older" viewer, but, I must admit, I'm still a sucker for AI.


And, if my husband can have pictures of Evangeline Lilly from "Lost" on his desktop, I can admit I have a little crush on David Cook. I'm almost old enough to be his mother (if I'd been a seriously unsupervised 14 year old), and I'm definitely old enough to have been bothered by his original hair-in-his-eyes style. (When you want to push hair out of someone's face, you know you've turned into your mother).


If anything shows the viewership age gap, it's the two finalists. You have the battle of the Davids: David Cook (favorite of us "older" folks) and David Archuleta, who doesn't look at day over 15 (he's 17) and was born when I was a senior in COLLEGE. When David C. sings, the crowd goes wild. When David A. sings, the girls scream in Beatle-esque unison. And, while David A. is technically proficient, he doesn't seem to have a real grasp on the meaning of the songs he sings. David C. makes you think he's lived every word.


I think that, in about 5 years and 2 ex-girlfriends, David A. will be able to back up his wonderful voice with some real emotion. David C. has that combination now, and I hope he wins the AI final on Wednesday. Either way, this "older" consumer will absolutely buy his album.

0 comments: